Who We Are
At the Galilee Centre, we strive to maintain a globally inclusive community of choice where individuals or groups can renew, refresh, and revive their spirit, mind and body in a welcoming tranquil oasis.
The Centre is on a 35 acre property that boasts of beautiful walking paths, community gardens, a greenhouse, a private beach and plenty of space for gatherings. Bring your own sports equipment to make use of our outdoor facilities; Tennis, volleyball, horse-shoes, swimming, canoeing, cross-country skiing and snow-shoeing and other possible activities are available to our guests.
We can accommodate up to 50 people with meals and accommodations. An individual can stay here for as little as $102.50 for a night’s stay with three meals inclusive.
Mission and Vision
To create a community that provides programs, services and an environment which nurture people’s personal and spiritual growth, enabling them to contribute to a healthier world.
To create a globally inclusive community of choice where individuals or groups can renew, refresh, and revive their spirit, mind and body in a welcoming tranquil oasis.
The Galilee Centre has a long history, and the land upon which it stands has played many important roles that date back to the establishment of Arnprior and the McNab Township.
"Galilee" is a reference a passage in the bible, about the Sea of Galilee and the land nearby where the Apostles were told to go to and wait to begin their ministries.
Sponsored by OMI Lacombe, the Galilee Centre is tasked with providing an environment, programs and hosting services which will nurture personal and spiritual growth, in the hopes of enabling people to contribute to a healthier world.
- In 1824, Archibald McNab built the Kinnell Lodge on a hill overlooking the mouth of the Madawaska river, and the McNab Township was established.
- Circa. 1850, The Kinnell Lodge and the nearby land became known as "The Hill".
- In 1857, Daniel McLachlin purchased the property and settled his family in Arnprior. The property became known as the McLachlin Estate.
- In 1860, a Royal Oak was planted as a sapling by the 19-year old Prince of Wales, eldest son of Queen Victoria (who later became Edward VII) on his tour through Canada.
- In 1946, the Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI), purchased the McLachlin estate, restoring the grounds and building, as well as expanding it. For many years afterwards, it was used as a novitiate for young men entering the Oblate community.
- In 1975, the McLaughlin Estate was developed into a place of renewal for both men and women and named Galilee Community.
- In 1988, Galilee Community was legally incorporated as a non-profit charitable organization called the Galilee Mission Centre of Arnprior (GMCA). It was popularly known as the Galilee Community, or Galilee Centre for many years.
- In 2016, The Board of Directors reaffirmed "Galilee Centre" as the official name of the organization and it's Mission and Vision were adjusted.
The Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate are just that, missionaries, located throughout the world. There are more than 700 Oblates in Canada and the United States, working in a wide range of ministries, including prisons, schools, universities, hospitals, and parishes, where they focus on bringing the love of God to the poor and abandoned. This religious community started in 1816 in the southern France, when the founder, St. Eugene de Mazenod, and four priest companions came together to bring the Good News to post-Revolution France. Some 3,800 Oblates are now present in all five continents around the world.
Oblate Associates are lay men and women who are witnesses to God’s love in their daily lives. Like the Oblates themselves, Associates feel called to minister directly to the poor. Infused with the charism of St. Eugene, the Oblate Associates work not only to improve the condition of the poor, but also to bring an awareness of the Good News that they, too, are children of God.